Tuesday, September 25, 2007

in Leicester

First of all, there are more/different keys on this computer station I am standing at, awaiting the beginning of International Students Orientation. I hear there is going to be a magic show. No kidding.

Well, so far things have been going quite smoothly. The flight was fine, even though during the one hour stopover in Ottawa, we weren't allowed to get off, being 'in-transit' passengers. I didn't sleep much on the flight, which kinda sucked, but got to London all in one piece. The Gatwick airport reminded me of the old Hong Kong one, with the ugly yellow signs and general oldness. It was a brisk 14C, but felt much chillier because: a) I was tired, and b) it's wet. Waited about 1 1/2 for my bus at the lounge. It's a little disappointing /comforting for an international traveler to see La Senza, The Body Shop, Burger King, etc. Went outside to wait for bus, which was an hour late. I was pretty anxious the whole time, even after being reassured by the bus person that it was just running late rather than have left without me. The bus had to take a circuitous route through the other airports to pick up passengers, and not everyone got on at the other stops. It took 4 hours to reach Leicester. Hopped on a cab, whose driver had to GPS the residence address. Checked into my room, randomly the first student I met is from Toronto too. Went to supper, went to bed, freezing.

Finally fell asleep at 3am. Woke up at 11am and couldn't believe it was that late already. Found the Brit's Wal-Mart (Asda), so all is good. Got a duvet, pillow, mattress & pillow cover & laundry bag all for £8. Brought a bunch of other stuff as well. Was tempted to buy a coat for £8 as well, because it's so cold here, but the smallest size was an 8. Went back to rez, had lunch, figured out my phone number, registered with the school online, sorted out the stuff I bought, and started to walk to school.

The walk is suppose to take 40mins. Yeah, I know. What's the point of living in university residence when it's so damn far? But my hall is catered, which means they provided breakfast and supper, so I guess that's why there isn't enough room for that right on campus. It, of course, started raining as I was walking. I walked for 1.5 hours because I got lost. Well, not really lost, but not as correctly as I had hoped. Because the streets all change names for no apparent reasons. I asked for directions, and this man said, 'It's half an hour away, it's too far to walk!' Anyway, I walked through the, let's say ethnic part of downtown. You'd think there's still segregation going on here. Arrived at this gorgeous soccer pitch (football pitch?), Victoria Park, the backyard to Leicester. Got on the campus tours; really nice little place. Met another fellow Canadian, someone from Portugal, Turkey, etc. Orientation official starts tomorrow morning.

I'm sure I would have needed to buy stuff once I got here anyway, but the reason why I am so ill-equipped is a last minute discovery of the baggage restrictions for Zoom Airlines (as in, WHAT DO YOU MEAN 20kg in total?! I thought it was 20kg per luggage!) Luckily I discovered this before actually leaving for the airport, so the repacking as done somewhat logically. Still I decided against my winter jacket, and I could use it on, in the evenings at least. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to buy stuff! =)

things that freaked me out/amused me so far:
small toilet seats, a pink stretch limo, around abouts! (how do people not get killed everytime they cross the streets?), an MC/DJ at Asda who says things like 'why not have fish tonight? Remember fish is good for you!', lush lawns ('cuz what sprinkler system could beat rain 5 times a day?), trying to learn my coins, hearing How to Save a Life on the radio, feeling like I'm in Hogwarts

3 comments:

walekim said...

I'm glad that your arrived safe and sound. Hope you continue to enjoy your stay.

I think those are called "round" abouts.
I also find that amazing, consider how many cars there are in Hong Kong, especially on the ones with 3 lanes each way.

m_whiz said...

You're right - round abouts!

Anonymous said...

Finally, welcome to Europe! At least your first impression wasn't of people having so much saliva stuck in their throats that you think they're gargling all the time ;)

Joyce nog steeds in Nederland