Saturday, September 06, 2008

The Life and Times of My Life of Some Time

I've finished my civil law rotation, and will be heading back to my own firm come Monday. Not that I've really been away, going in 2-3 times a week after work to check messages and stuff. It'll be nice to be back full time though, so I can stop feeling like I am serving two masters.

While I was there, I had a little crush on someone. It's all casual bantering and harmless fun, until I suddenly had a flashbulb moment, and realize that a lot of the traits that I found attractive in him also existed in an ex. I quickly aborted that mission. Not that I would ever have had the guts to ask him out, but man, that was close.

It's funny how we slip into patterns, I think. You'd think that no guy who doesn't have 'a sense of humour, a nice smile and is unafraid to show their feelings' would ever get a girl. What do we look for in a partner, and how much of it is just a construct or what we think we want? Tall, dark, mysterious doesn't do it for everyone, but what about rich, smart, confident? Is anyone looking for closet nerds out there? Surely not everyone of us shed our high school selves? Does anyone look for the one to watch Jeopardy with them, and answer just a few more questions than they can? Does anyone look for the one who still wear their heart on their sleeves? Who, afterall, at our age, doesn't have baggage?

Another phenomenon I find interesting is happily married/coupled people who eagerly play matchmaker. Do they really just want others to experience the perfect bliss they have found, or is it really a secret way to continue checking out the pool out there, with the perfect disguise? Yes, I am a cynic, at times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting. you dont have the guts to ask a guy out, come on. asking someone out is showing that you have an interest to get to know them further, doesnt mean squat unless they are not interested at all and in that case, its a wrong assessment on ur part so go back to the drawing boards and regroup.

Anonymous said...

I dunno, you should try it sometime :) Regardless of his answer, it gives you a very positive feeling, in the sense of, "wow, I did that?" :) And according to my really good friend, a girl doing that leaves behind something on the guy that just might get him to look at her in a different light :)

Loquax