Friday, October 05, 2007

Haven't Got a Mobile?!

I am going to London on a day trip this Sunday, and a friend of a friend has graciously offered to show me around. Except, he was slightly surprised/horrified that I don't have a 'mobile'. How could people ever find each other without one? To be fair, cell phones are so much cheaper here. With incredible foresight (but really mostly luck), I bought a Razr from Pacific Mall a while ago, so it's already got the right plug (I use a converter in Canada), plus is unlocked. The SIM card was free, and basically I just put money on it. The deal I got is 15p/min for any call within the UK, but only 5p/min to Canada, US, Australia or New Zealand! Yeah, so it's actually cheaper to call home then local! Hong Kong/China is only 6p/min as well. It's funny; the rate is in pretty much direct proportion to how much Britain likes you.

Little Things:
1. Traffic lights that go: Red, Red+Yellow, Green. I remember specifically having to unlearn this sequence when I first moved to Canada.
2. How phone numbers are like 11 digits long, and that it's different rates to call numbers from different providers.
3. Sitting on the upper deck of buses, and then flying down the stairs just before your stop.
4. Jaywalking made easy, but narrow streets.
5. 50min lectures, 2000 word essays (including footnotes!)
6. A big bowl of fruits for a pound at the Open-Air Market.
7. 'Still' vs. 'Sparkling' water.
8. How everybody is 'mate'.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I like England. :) I guess I should call off my request for a tourguide for you then? It's probably for the best, all my friends there are a little off kilter.

Anonymous said...

I so want a trip anywhere right now. Sounds like you are having too much fun overthere. Miss you!

Joshua Wong said...

Canada and the US are some of the only places in the world where they can ravage their customers so badly on cell charges (although I suppose that is hypocritical for me to say... You know what I'm talking about :P)

A Malaysian SIM costs less than $1 CND and I used to joke about a truck driver I was with who had trouble feeding his kids, but had two cell phones :P