Sunday, September 12, 2004

Sparrow of my Nap

Okay, most of you know that I am blind as a bat without my glasses/contact lenses, right? So today, around 3pm, I decided to take a nap, 'cuz I was out late last night, and early this morning. Actually, my eyelids decided to take a nap - I didn't have much say in it. Anyway, I was sleeping on my bed in the basement, and I thought I heard the flapping of ... something. I was still tired, and more than half asleep, so the best course of action was, of course, to just ignore it and return to blissful oblivion. Nap was again interrrupted. Same course of action followed. This happened around 3-4 times until I actually opened my eyes, and saw wings. WINGS?! I forced my eyes open, snatched my glasses, and peered around. Nothing. I used my desk lamp as a flashlight and looked around some more, semi-sleuthly. Still nothing. Just as I was about to return to sleep, fluttering ensued. Okay, so I got up finally. And there it was - a little brown sparrow, with no business being in anyone's basement, sitting prim as a doll, on the edge of the bed. Luckily I've been advised before on how to capture birds without harming them (you throw a towel on them), so after a few minutes, I was successful in return it to the great expanse of the backyard. I'd bet the little fellow was glad. It sucks living in the basement - I know. Anyway, that was my little adventure with a member of the City Wildlife Basement Inspection Squad. I guess stranger things have happened.

But not to me.

3 comments:

Joshua Wong said...

I'd really wonder how it got down there and how long it's been there...

Good call on the towel... I probably would have pursued it in circles while it out ran (or out flew) me... while I gasped now and then for an occassional rest :P

Anonymous said...

hahaha... what a great story! great idea on the towel thing... it'd be cool to hear what's going through the bird's mind at the instant u threw the towel over his/her head...

if i found a bird in my basement, i probably would've screamed like a girl and ran away, never to venture into my basement forever more... but then again, i'm a big wuss...

- aziz

m_whiz said...

I wish I could take credit for the towel idea, but I was taught that when I rescued an injured bird last summer. I felt kinda bad though, 'cuz it was so small, so it would have been equivalent to having a circus tent being thrown at you. The bird was probably thinking, "oh sh-"

a> I'm SURE that you would have screamed like a girl! ;)