Saturday, February 19, 2005

am I a b*tch?

So I have this friend that I've known for 10 years. And every time we've made plans to go out and do something (movie, dinner, etc), she has always been at least half an hour late. I kid you not - I've waited 2 hours for her before.

Today, we were going to meet at 1pm for lunch. We haven't seen each other for a couple months, and she called me to make plans, and I was more than happy to see her. She called last night to confirm, and this morning again, and I stressed that I was really hungry, so let's eat first, etc. Okay, so I waited at the restaurant. Being me, I try to be 5 minutes early. (It doesn't always work out, but I try, okay?) FORTY-FIVE minutes later, after repeated phone calls by me that went unanswered, she was still not there, and I left. I mean, usually, I would wait. But I was really, really hungry, and annoyed. I mean, I know that in a way, I 'allow' her to be late all the time by putting up with it, but I'm just tired of it. So she called me at 1:50pm and said that she in on the RT now (15 mins Rapid Transit across Scarborough, for non-Torontonians). But I'd already called my sister to pick me up, and so I told her that, and, you know, that I'm sorry we couldn't meet up today. I think she was a little shocked at my behaviour. I was too. I mean, I know she is taking the subway, etc. I guess I just didn't want to wait anymore. Does that make me a bad friend? I don't know if I made a bad decision. I was planning to spend the whole day with her anyway. Was it petty and vengeful? I don't know.

4 comments:

walekim said...

I think you are being reasonable.

There are times one can be less tolerant, especially when stressed of depressed. Anyone should understand.

You already put up with her many times before. This is nothing to ashamed of. You also gave her plenty of time this time anyway.

If I were you, I would probably be late myself, knowing that she will definitely be late. It probably feels bad, but it's a good compromise.

Friends be fair with each other.

Anonymous said...

you're not a doormat and you shouldn't act like one.

Chronic lateness = lack of respect & egocentric attitude

Not bothering to call = lack of respect & rudeness

You leaving = growing a backbone

Final verdict: You are not a b*tch.

~Simone

m_whiz said...

heh.

Simone, you make it all so simple!

Anonymous said...

wow, it takes a lot of guts to do what u did... i don't think it makes u a bitch... an hour late - especially without phone call... that's pretty bad...

i'm always late myself... but i try to call if i know i'm gonna be late... but i do suck... if we ever have plans to meet, u should just leave me... or i'll work extra hard to be early... yeah, that'd be a better solution than u leaving me, come to think of it...