Sunday, July 31, 2005

The West Coast Calls My Name

Got back from my leave in Vancouver yesterday. What an awesome trip. I love the city, and rude/self-righteous people, the mountains and the water. Pretty much everything about it. I think I have to somehow make my way out there, and stay for a couple years. It feels like childhood (Hong Kong), and thus home, in a way that Toronto never did. The salty breeze envelopes my every sense, and it just feels right.

Maybe it's because I have been having such an emotionally traumatizing summer; maybe I just really, really needed to get away from the whole relationship thing, but seeing UBC, spending 5 hours at Stanley Park (even seeing the Aquarium with everything from butterflies to beluga whales to seahorses), checking out the Chinatown Night Market, taking the Aquabus as taxi on water, shopping at Gastown, night strolling on the beach, Robson St & Davie St - it's all just incredible. I stayed at the YMCA downtown 'cuz my cousin totally forgot to get me a room on campus, which turned out to be just fine 'cuz I'm right in the middle of everything. I even saw a theatrical performance called Storyeum, about the history of BC. It's performed underground, and the audience actually move with the actors to different sets for different eras. Very cool. I really needed the time away, and for the first time in my life I was not excited about coming back to Cold Lake. Maybe this is the end of camp for me.

More later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell me you took pictures during your flight over the Rockies to get to YVR !!

Just wish you could be happy again, I mean yes, incidents build character; they make you grow/open your eyes, but ... just wish you were happy again.

Hope you find that place, that time, that ending, that beginning, that reason and that answer you were searching for.

- and hope you find that courage, that committement to be happy, again!

Cheers, ~PM

Princess_Nikki said...

I love hearing about Vancouver through a fresh pair of eyes...sometimes it makes me miss living there and calling it home.

It think it's the last year of camp for a lot of people. I can sense frustration from so many in our "generation". It seems that we've finally reached the age where we're not young enough to fit in with the youngin's, yet we're not old enough to be part of the bitter and jaded crew. It's hard to find a place. I know I'll need to come back to Albert Head next summer (though it PAINS me to say that) so I keep reminding myself that really, I'm here to do a job and to train cadets.

I'm glad you had such a good time in Vancouver...maybe one day you'll move out here and we won't be separated by 5 provinces and the Rocky Mountains!