Tuesday, November 08, 2005

a sexy social conscience?

Why is it that there are some social issues that I can identify with so much more than others? Look, I'm not indifferent to the plight of the Aboriginals, but why does the concerns faced by Blacks touch me on such a deeper level? The equality battle fought by the people with disability is no less arduous than that against the GLBT community; so why is it the latter that I can empathesize with more? In our Criminal Law class, we are continuously challenged to take all these concerns into consideration in light of how the legal system differentially affects racialized and marginalized groups. So it is just an individual difference in what moves us more, or are some social concerns just 'sexier' because of how they have been advanced by the media in our society?

What moves you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my car moves me...