Saturday, August 05, 2006

talk with dad

My mom called my dad a couple days ago, and found out that my grandmother (in Shanghai) has been in and out of the hospital for the past month. She's over 90, and she's not lucid anymore. My dad says he's been working 24 hours a day for the past 6 weeks, because she is sick. It's sad and disheartening, but mostly my mom was disappointed and a little mad that my dad didn't bother to call to tell her that she's been sick. Anyway, that aside, my grandmother is in a seniors' home now. And as much as possible, I try to leave my parents' issues theirs alone.

Had a really good conversation with my dad though. We almost didn't speak for a year after I made the decision to go to law school. Not really by design, we just don't talk much, and I've avoided even those few opportunities that have presented themselves. Anyway, he asked about my studies and work and life, and I told him a little about course selection and my boyfriend, so it was a good start. I know this sounds ridiculous, but interacting with my dad is a little like interacting with an ex for me. I'd send emails, and won't get any responses; but when he does talk to me, I'm all excited and blogging about it. No wonder my social skills with the opposite sex is wacked.

No comments: