Friday, October 13, 2006

not me

Couldn't sleep 'til around 2am last night, after driving through a brief snow storm to get into Toronto from Windsor. It feels like late November. Got up at 7am, got into Hamilton around 9am. Had a coffee and a fruit bowl, and read the papers to sound smart at my 10:30am interview. Met with 4 interviews, each for about 30mins. Good conversations, nice people, glorious 4-storey converted from old fashion bank building as an office. I'm estimating that they are interviewing around 20 students, to fill 1-2 spots.

I can't work there.

I realized today just how not cut out I am for private practice. The firm specializes in 'recovery', meaning they represent all the banks in Canada to kick people out of their houses when they default on their mortgage payments. Farmers who put up their houses as collaterals are out of luck with this bunch should their farm fails.

I don't think corporations, banks, insurance companies, etc don't deserve top notch legal representation. Their causes are no less just even though it's profit-oriented. They need and have fantastic people doing their work.

I just can't stomach it.

Which puts a lot more pressure on for this Dept of Justice interview on Monday in Vancouver for me. If I don't get a job with the government, I don't know what I'd want to do instead. I don't even know if I'd want to practice law then. I don't mean to sound dramatic, but I owe it to myself to be who I'm meant to be. And that's not easy with the very definition of success in the entire field seems to be business law in a national firm.

No comments: