Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Civil Rotation

I have been seconded to a civil firm for 3 weeks. And though I'm getting interesting little assignments, and everyone's being really nice, this experience just makes me want to be a criminal lawyer that much more. I'm also surprised at how much I miss my regular work place. Somehow, over the last 3 months, my firm's become a home, and the people there family. At least in the great land of Alberta.

I remember at this time last year, I was devastated that I didn't get any of the articling jobs that were my first, second, third.... seventh choice. In part because of that, I once again made a poor relationship decision (same mistake, over and over again, but we don't need to tell that story again).

Funny how things work out. I can't imagine being anywhere else now, doing anything other than criminal defence, even though that was the one thing I said in law school that I won't be donig. Maybe I'm just malleable like that, adjusting to my surroundings, chameleon-like. But I don't think that's true. I'm pretty choosy with my life, and the only thing I seem to have an unhealthy level of tolerance for is relationships. Nothing is happening on that front (probably for the best), and I'm stressed to the max about this bar admission course, but it's all manageable. At the end of the day, I'm happy being here, right now.

No comments: