Wednesday, August 13, 2008

SLC Forever

I am a sentimental fool. There is no doubt about that. 10 years ago, I came to Alberta for the first time, and left a different person. I didn't know it at the time, but attending the Senior Leaders Course changed the course of my life. In fact, I don't think I'd be in Edmonton today if I didn't go on that course when I was 16.

We are changed before our eyes, yet we can't see it until we are looking back. I remember giving a speech at the squadron's banquet about my camp experience. That speech was too long (15 mins), as my speeches usually are, and of course I'm fairly certain that it resonated with me more than with anyone in the audience. Still I remember the pride with which I delivered every word, and how I can barely keep the quiver from my voice at describing what going home was like. I was touched again, every time I return to Cold Lake, every time I talk about it (how ever I try to pretend that was a childish thing), every time I see a beautiful sunset.

We were often told that the course is what you make it, as 'hardcore' and as meaningful as we can read meaning into it. For me it gave me the confidence I should have always known existed, and yet I needed the validation to believe. And once I believed, I took flight.

WSNBM/ONBP

No comments: