Tuesday, October 05, 2004

TV Rec's

I never watched much TV in high school, but of course all that changed as soon as I moved into Mac residence. There are fun shows, educational shows, shows that make you feel smart because it uses big words, and just pure guilty pleasure ones. Here are my picks:

New Series
Jack & Bobby (Sun, 8pm, The New VR)
The Boy Who Would Become King; I mean, the President of the US. There are voices from the future reflecting on the McCallister Administration in 2049, but the majority of the hour is devoted to the present day, in which Bobby is only 14 or so, living with an overbearing professor mother, and a smart, caring, nice and *hot* older brother. It's like an alternate The West Wing. Some of the dialogue is kinda preachy, but I guess that's why I like TWW. Plus, I'm a sucker for kids born to fulfill a destiny/prophecy, etc. I suppose everyone is born to do something. It just makes a better story when you know what that is.

Desperate Housewives (Sun, 7pm, CTV)
I thought it was a weird concept, but decided to check it out anyway. Everytime I see Teri Hatcher I think of Lois Lane, and all those Superman episodes. Anyway, it has a dead-voice-from-the-past narrator, with a suburban mid-age Nancy Drew twist. Cracks me up. And please never let me become one of those Stepford people.

Medical Investigation (Fri, 10pm, CTV)
This one, you've *got* to see. It's like the love child between CSI & ER, with a fling added in movies like Outbreak. Each week the medical team investigates a strange disease and of course figures it out. I keep expecting Kelli Williams to show up in a courtroom a la The Practice. The lead character is this cocky doctor dude, but of course with a troubled family life (which TV character doesn't?) My favourite part of each show is when Dr. Connor (with his fluorescent hair) recreates the scenario of the disease in his mind, and we see everything in wavy, greenish dreamlike sequences, that gets rewinded when he changes his assessments.

Check 'em out!

Old Series
The West Wing (Wed, 9pm, CTV)
Even though last year was a pretty big flop with the departure of creator Aaron Sorkin, there were a few episodes that really made up for it. I hope it gets better this year, and that the new writers will have finally hit their stride, or NBC just allows it a merciful and quick death so as to not diminish the earlier seasons.

ER (Thurs, 10pm, CTV)
I can't help it - as long as there is Dr. Kovac, I'm there.

The O.C. (Thurs, 8pm, CTV)
heh - guilty pleasure. Why does it premiere so late?!

Nip/Tuck (various, 10pm, CTV)
Season Two finale this Friday. Or maybe it's a repeat? I dunno, I didn't have TV all summer. Anyway, I've already raved about this in one of my very first posts. Although some of the scenes are getting really gruesome - like tonight's.

Others
I also catch some of Joey (I really want to like this one, but sometimes it just feels like empty calories), Friends reruns, Will & Grace, and the only 'reality' show that I watch, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

Oh

This is why my thesis is going nowhere. ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

didn't you know? immersing yourself in countless t.v. shows is the first important step of thesis-writing

;oP

-karen

m_whiz said...

is there is a 12-step program? If so, what's step two?

Anonymous said...

repeat step 1. then: shampoo, rinse...