Saturday, August 07, 2004

Top Flight

Every week, one of the nine Senior Leaders Course flights (group of about 30 cadets each) is selected as Top Flight for the week, based on uniform & room inspections, academics, morale, etc. And this morning, the MC's of the inspection announced the Top Flight as C2. I heard it, but I couldn't quite process it. In all my years in cadets, the flights that I've belonged to have never won anything. But today, the Top Flight is C2, and I am their Flight Commander. I have hardly stopped smiling all day.

Flight Name
I think I mentioned before that my flight's name is Defiant, and they have finally 'earned' the right to use it today. After the parade, we (the flight staff) kept them back, and have them face the flight line. We gave the command "C2 Flight, Stand at Ease", and then "Defiant Flight, Attention". You should have seen the smiles that broke out. And the cheer afterwards.

Two weeks
Only two weeks left. In exactly two weeks, I will be at home, wondering where the past two months went. I've loved every moment of it, even the crazy hospital runs past midnight. This is the best summer I've had in so long, and the best weeks I've had in at least two years. I don't want to say that I think I deserve it after the past two years, but it's really, really nice to finally catch a break. The only thing is, of course, going home means most of the goodness gained here will be lost, or at least changed. And I can think of at least one reason why going home is going to suck. Well, one person, to be more precise.




No comments: