Saturday, September 10, 2005

Curious Optimism

Classes start on Monday, and I'm curiously calm about this whole thing. Of course, that could change very quickly once we actually get going, but for now, reading my Criminal Law Syllabus, I'm oddly elated that the 20% assignment is only a 10 page paper. It is reassuring to have weekly assigned reading, rather than the go-forth-and-venture-yourself that was grad school for me. Professors telling you exactly what to do! What can be nicer than that?

I'm doing some serious thinking about not being involved with cadets this year. I'd made the decision to take at least a year off, but I kinda freaked out and thought I really needed the money when I found out that my mom is giving me the car to take here. I should just trust myself a little more and realize that I can probably get another job that's less time consuming, and that I could possibly be more excited about, or at least not dread. I took fourth year off cadets as well, and perhaps it once again time to give myself a sabbatical from youth work.

I decided to volunteer at the University Human Rights Office. Maybe take on a couple more things. I really want to play in a band again, but I'm pretty out of practice. See what I can find.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you calm about something you have control over? nah I cant see it. So the military? Start a one man band, or one woman band as the case may be, I hear it can be fun.

walekim said...

Cadets has given you with a constant element in the changing environment, but perhaps it's time you do something else to expand your horizon and portfolio. If that doesn't work, you can always fall back on it. I would seek out for the band if I were you, cause it's what you like. How about a job that involves a band? Kill two birds with one stone?

Anonymous said...

you could be a roadie or a manager!