Thursday, September 15, 2005

have you ever found...

I think all the ladies reading this can might know what I am about to describe. Maybe the guys can offer the situation some illumination.

Why is it that when you are in a relationship, all these other guys seem to be interested in you as well? Is it just a male competition thing? Does being in a relationship somehow changes a person's confidence, or just removing that vibe of "I'm single and looking?" Is the chase that much more thrilling if there is already someone else involved? I just don't know, but I'm experiencing the weirdest drama lately.

All of you reading this will no doubt realize just how strange all this sudden attention is making me feel. And having never been approached or hit on really, I have no idea whether an invitation to coffee is just that, or has some cosmic, hidden meaning in the social dating world. Or does arranging for ride for you to a boat cruise count? Is it just first week orientation over-friendliness, a need to make a connection somehow when you are surrounded by strangers, or something else?

I'm glad that I'm already in a relationship, and only need to understand these gestures in an effort to be polite and friendly. I really don't know how to navigate these strange waters if I actually had to figure out what they mean.

p.s. where the hell were all these guys in the past 5 years?!

other news
I played with the Greater Windsor Concert Band last night! It's a community band consisting of about 40 musicians, with about 1/2 of them over 60 and retired, and the other 1/2 around 30-40, and just a handful of younger people. It was so much fun! I haven't played in a proper band since high school, and this is definitely something I want to keep doing as a way to keep my sanity in law school. The old men are so funny too. They were wishing each other good luck on their knee surgeries. Really, no kidding.

1 comment:

walekim said...

I am no expert, but I think they are just creating chance to explore their options.

I am pretty much in the same boat. In a new environment, and trying to get to know the "potential targets". Being single and looking is not easy. Figuring out whether they are the looking too is hard too. I admit that I haven't tried hard enough though. First movers usually have advantages, so it's not unusually to see them all making the move at the same time.